AUSTIN (KXAN) — Love them otherwise you hate them, one factor’s for certain: Peeps, the polarizing Easter sweet formed like chicks, will outlive you.
A tongue-in-cheek 1999 research at Emory College in Atlanta, got down to show or disprove a pervasive rumor in regards to the sweet: that the marshmallow confections can’t be destroyed.
The research examined the sweet below 4 circumstances:
- Response to chilly – After being squashed with a hammer, a Peep was positioned in a bucket of liquid nitrogen — it was submerged within the -210°C nitrogen for a couple of minute — the sweet was eliminated and squashed once more with a hammer. This time, the sweet (now hardened) cracked and broke aside. Conclusion: Not simply damaged.
- Response to warmth – The Peep was positioned in an autoclave (a refrigerator-sized strain cooker that may kill any residing micro organism or fungi) for quarter-hour. The sweet was uncovered to 10 atmospheres of strain at 350°levels Fahrenheit. By the tip of the quarter-hour, the Peep softened right into a “fluff” — nonetheless collectively, however gooier. Conclusion: Can take the warmth.
- Solubility testing – 4 particular person Peeps have been put into 4 separate beakers. One beaker containing water, one containing acetone, one containing sulfuric acid and one containing sodium hydroxide. The candies have been noticed for an hour and on the finish, essentially the most dramatic growth was that the acetone turned purple as some sugar dissolved. Conclusion: In contrast to the Depraved Witch of the West, these candies don’t soften simply.
- “Nastier solvent” – Dissatisfied with the solubility testing, researchers determined to drop the sweet in a meaner chemical concoction. They immersed a Peep into Phenol — a protein-breaking chemical that may trigger paralysis or loss of life if swallowed and even put in touch with pores and skin. After an hour, the Peep had largely dissolved into purple goo. However one half was not simply killed: the chick’s little black eyes have been nonetheless intact, fully unhurt by the chemical. Conclusion: Peeps are all the time watching.
- Low-pressure environments – A Peep was put right into a vacuum. As soon as the air started being sucked out of the container, the sweet began to broaden to a a lot bigger measurement. When the vacuum was turned off, nevertheless, the Peep misplaced air and folded in on itself to resemble chewing gum. But it surely solely misplaced its form because it retained edibility (researchers ate it afterward). Conclusion: Shapeshifter.
Ultimate conclusion: You determine!
Peeps, first launched in 1953, are owned and manufactured by Pennsylvania-based firm Simply Born, which can be in command of Sizzling Tamales, Mike and Ike, and Zours.
Whereas the sweet is generally related to Easter, their varieties and availability have expanded to different holidays, together with Halloween, Christmas and Valentine’s Day.