This photograph reveals Ford 2018 and 2019 F-150 vans on the meeting line on the Ford Motor Firm’s Rouge Advanced on September 27, 2018 in Dearborn, Michigan.
Jeff Kowalsky | AFP | Getty Photographs
DETROIT – Ford Motor will halt or reduce manufacturing at eight North American vegetation for various intervals of time by June as a consequence of an ongoing scarcity of semiconductor chips impacting the auto trade.
Affected autos vary from the Ford Mustang and Escape crossover to the extremely worthwhile F-150 pickup and Bronco Sport SUV, the corporate confirmed following an inner memo of the plans that was obtained by CNBC.
“Our groups proceed taking advantage of our obtainable semiconductor allocation and can proceed discovering distinctive options to supply as many high-quality autos as potential to our sellers and prospects,” Ford mentioned in an emailed assertion.
The shutdown bulletins come a day after President Joe Biden visited a Ford plant in Dearborn, Michigan, the place he voiced help for extra home chip manufacturing so one thing like the present scarcity would not occur once more.
Biden visited a brand new plant that can produce Ford’s upcoming electrical F-150 starting subsequent yr. It is linked to Ford’s Dearborn Truck plant, which is one in all two services that produce the full-size F-150 pickup.
The impacted vegetation are as follows:
- Chicago Meeting Plant in illinois can be down the week of Might 31 and can function on a diminished schedule the week of June 7.
- Flat Rock Meeting Plant in Michigan can be down the weeks of Might 31 and June 7.
- Dearborn Truck Plant in Michigan and Kansas Metropolis Meeting Plant in Missouri– truck line – can be down the weeks of Might 31 and June 7 and can function on a diminished schedule the week of June 14.
- Hermosillo Meeting Plant in Mexico can be down the weeks of June 21 and June 28
- Louisville Meeting Plant in Kentucky can be down beginning the week of Might 31 by mid-July, which incorporates an already-scheduled summer time shutdown interval.
- Oakville Meeting Advanced in Canada can be down the weeks of Might 31 by June 28.
- Ohio Meeting Plant will produce solely Tremendous Obligation Chassis cabs and Medium Obligation vans the weeks of Might 31, June 7 and June 14.
The cuts come weeks after Ford CEO Jim Farley warned traders that the corporate anticipated to lose about 50% of its deliberate second-quarter manufacturing, up from 17% within the first quarter.
Ford expects issues from the chip scarcity to scale back its earnings by about $2.5 billion in 2021, the excessive finish of its earlier steering for the yr.